Event: 5th Edition of Cartier Concours d’Elegance – a Vintage Car and Bike show.
Date: 4-6 February 2017
Venue: Taj Falaknuma Palace, Hyderabad, IN.
Anything tagged as “Vintage” brings with it, lot of memories, love, happiness, wonder and what not. If that anything is a car or a bike, then it is just a abode for auto heads!
Cartier Concours d’Elegance is one such premier show, rather the only show which combines many segments of the vintage auto market and provides a best place for any auto lover to experience. It was my first time to attend 5th edition of such a great show.
As soon as we entered the venue, the two beautiful cars which were placed right in front of the Palace were the Exhibition Class cars (1912 Rolls-Royce 40/50HP Silver Ghost ‘Throne Limousine’ by Barker and 1919 Daimler 45HP Special by Windovers).
Also were the 1933 Minerva AL 40HP, 1910 Wolseley-Siddeley 50/60HP Landaulet, 1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Boat tail Tourer, 1920 Rolls-Royce 40/50HP Silver Ghost Tourer, 1964 Oldsmobile F-85 Sedan. An array of colorful Lambretta Scooters were an instant attraction!
Others on display were:
Veteran – Vintage Class Motorcycles
1914 Rudge Multi TT
1920 Triumph Model H
1922 BSA Model H2
1923 FN M60 Sports
1926 AJS 799 V Twin
1926 Rudge 500
Pre War Classics Class Motorcycles
1930 Sunbeam Lion
1931 Ariel 500 Slopper
1938 AJS R9
1938 BMW R51
1938 Triumph 3HW
1939 Norton 16H
1940 Indian Chief
1942 BSA M20
1942 Indian Scout
1944 BSA M20
Post War Classics Class Motorcycles
1947 Ariel Square Four
1947 Sunbeam S7
1947 Indian Chief
1948 Sunbeam S7
1951 BMW R51
1951 Sunbeam S7
1951 Royal Enfield Twin
1953 Norton Dominator
1953 Royal Enfield Clipper
1954 Moto Guzzi Falcone
1956 Ariel Field Master
1956 Matchless G3LS
1957 Triumph Tiger 100
1958 Velocette Venom
1961 Norton Dominator 99
1961 Triumph 3T
1961 Norton Dominator 88
1961 BSA Road Rocket
1962 Triumph Tiger 100SS
1967 Ducati Monza
Pre War Classics
1914 Benz 8/20 Runabout
1914 Wolseley 30/40HP Landaulet
1915 Ford Model T Runabout
1921 Rolls-Royce 40/50HP Silver Ghost Barker Torpedo
1922 Moon 6-40 Tourer
1925 Graham Paige Model 615 Phaeton
1927 Lanchester 21HP Tourer
1929 Cadillac V8 Series 341-B Seven Passenger Sedan
1929 Cadillac V8 Series 341-B Dual Cowl Phaeton
1929 Triumph Super 7 Roadster
1929 Rolls-Royce 20/25HP Barker Tourer
1930 Buick 60 Dual Phaeton Tourer
1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Arthur Mulliner Limousine
1930 Rolls-Royce 20/25HP Southern Motors Drophead Coupe
1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Windovers Limousine
1930 Ford Model A Coupe
1931 Cadillac V12 Series 370-A Roadster
1933 Cadillac V12 Series 370-C Seven Passenger Sedan
1935 Dodge Series DV Limousine
1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Thrupp & Maberly Limousine
1936 Rolls-Royce 25/30HP Thrupp & Maberly Limousine
1936 Pierce Arrow Model 1602 Sedan
1939 Cadillac Series 61 Convertible Coupe
1939 Buick Roadmaster Convertible
Post War Classics
1947 Bentley Mark VI Saloon
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1947 Dodge Custom Convertible Coupe
1948 Bristol 400 Coupe
1948 Packard Clipper Sedan
1948 Packard Clipper Sedan
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster
1949 Cadillac Series 62 Sedanette
1949 Buick Roadmaster Sedan
1950 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1950 MG YT Tourer
1955 Buick Roadmaster Convertible
1958 Edsel Villager Stationwagon
Heritage Class – Indian
1952 Chevrolet Deluxe Styline Sedan
1956 Dodge Kingsway Sedan
1957 Fiat 1100 Saloon
1957 Hindustan Traveller Stationwagon
1958 Hindustan Ambassador Saloon
1961 Fiat 1100 Saloon
American Aeroflow/Aerodynamic Class
1934 Hupmobile Model J Aersosedan
1936 Chrysler Imperial Airflow Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Winchester Sedan
1938 Ford V8 Sedan
1939 Plymouth PB Convertible Sedan
1938 Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe
1921 Rolls-Royce 40/50HP Silver Ghost Tourer
1929 LaSalle Series 328 Sports Phaeton
1938 Morris 8 Tourer
1951 Dodge Wayfairer Sedan
1954 Studebaker Conestoga Stationwagon
1965 Standard Herald
1950 MG TD Convertible
1961 Fiat 1200 Cabriolet
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster
1962 Jaguar E-Type Series 1 Roadster
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite Roadster
The 3 day event cannot conclude without the main attraction segment, off course, the Prizes!!! 😀 Lot of love, labour and dedication goes into preserving each and every beauty/treasure. And such Elegant shows and Prizes are true complements for those.
- The Cartier Honour Trophy to eminent collector Sharad Sanghi, presented by HRH Prince Michael of Kent.
- The FIVA Preservation Trophy to the Wankaner Silver Ghost, presented by Patrick Rollet – FIVA President.
- Winner – Veteran Vintage Motorcycles was 1926 AJS 799 V Twin of Sandeep Kapoor, presented by Giacomo Agostini.
Runner Up – Veteran Vintage Motorcycles was 1926 Rudge 500 of Siddharth Darade, presented by Patrick Mark.
- Winner – Pre War Motorcycles was 1939 Norton 16H of Norton Singh Sukhi, presented by Yasmin le Bon.
First Runner Up – Pre War Motorcycles was 1944 BSA M20 of Capt. A. S. Randhawa, presented by John Walsh.
Second Runner Up – Pre War Motorcycles was 1930 Sunbeam Lion of Roozbeh Ardeshir, presented by David McKirdy.
- Winner – Post War Motorcycles was 1947 Indian Chief of Arjun Oberoi, presented by Giacomo Agostini.
First Runner Up – Post War Motorcycles was 1947 Ariel Square Four of Teja P., presented by Chip Connor.
Second Runner Up – Post War Motorcycles was 1958 Velocette Venom of Reuben Solomon, presented by David McKirdy.
- Best in Class – Indian Heritage was the 1957 Hindustan Traveller of Viveck Goenka, presented by Peter Stevens.
- Best in Class – Pre War Classic Rolls Royce was the 1936 Rolls-Royce 25/30HP of Manu Raman, presented by John Fasal.
- Best in Class – Pre War Classic Rolls Royce Grand was the 1921 Rolls-Royce 40/50HP Silver Ghost of Inder Krishnamma, presented by Sir Michael Kadoorie.
- Best in Class – Pre War Classic European was the 1914 Wolseley 30/40HP of Shrivardhan Kanoria, presented by Lord March.
- Winner – Pre War Classic American was the 1936 Pierce Arrow 1602 of Diljeet Titus, presented by Sandra Button.
First Runner Up – Pre War Classic American was the 1933 Cadillac V12 Series 370-C of Madan Mohan, presented by Simon Kidston.
Second Runner Up – Pre War Classic American was the 1915 Ford Model T of Siddhartha Khona, presented by Nicholas Coleridge.
- The Mark Shand Adventurer Trophy to the 1954 Studebaker Conestoga of Viveck Goenka.
- Best in Class – Roadster was the 1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL of Shandeep Reddy, presented by Jean Todt.
- Best in Class – Post War Classic European was the 1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster of Shantanu Reddy, presented by Riccardo Patrese.
- Winner – Post War Classic American was the 1958 Edsel Villager of Viveck Goenka, presented by Gordon Murray.
Runner Up – Post War Classic American was the 1949 Buick Roadmaster of Nawab Shah Alam Khan, Mark Stewart.
- Cartier Resurrection Cup was the 1948 Bristol 400 of Amit Sapre, Prince Azmet Jah, the Prince of Berar.
- Best in Class – Américain Aérodynamique was the 1936 Chrysler Imperial Aeroflow of Amal Tanna, presented by Lord March.
- Best of Show – Motorcycles was the 1947 Indian Chief of Arjun Oberoi, presented by Guillaume Alix.
- Best of Show was the 1914 Wolseley 30/40 HP of Shrivardkhan Kanoria.
With a fantastic conclusion, it was hard feeling to return back, away from these wonderful creations/master pieces. More disheartening thing was, finding out that my memory card was overwritten and losing many of the photos and videos 😦 (or else you could have seen a glimpse of the event in motion).
Treat your eyes with below images!